Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Mini Beauty Haul

Why is it that everything runs out at the same kind of time? I seem to be coming to the end of my foundation, concealer, mascara, skin care and shower products all at once! I had a mini spree to replace some of my nearly empties this week. Here's what I got:

Nip and Fab Oil Control set : £8.50 (ASOS)
Dainty Doll 002 'Saucy Sailor' Lipstick : £2.89 (eBay)
Hi-tech Mascara : £1.18 (eBay)


 

I'm going to talk about the oil control box set first! I've heard really good things about the Nip and Fab brand previously so when I saw this reduced to £8.50 on ASOS I had to give it a try! I've since looked online and each of these products retails at £10 each so I'm chuffed with my bargain! So far I've only given the Shine Fix and Spot Fix a quick try as I've only got a few more days worth on my current facial scrub. If the result is worth raving about I'll write a seperate review on the Clean Fix facial cleanser. 


On the picture above is a swatch test of the Shine Fix on the left and Spot Fix on the right. The Shine Fix instructions say to apply to the t-zone, chin and nose to eliminate excess oil. It seems to be a multi functioning product as not only does it prevent shine it targets visible pores and blackheads. The consistency is very similar to that of a primer but is slightly denser. I applied in underneath my make up but it does say to apply as often as needed so I gather it's okay to put on over foundation too. My skin definitely feels nice and oil free. Before work in the evening I usually take off all my make up and reapply as my skin looks shiny by then. If i could just reapply this instead it would save so much time! Regarding the long term solutions it offers such as 'busting black heads' and targeting visible pores i'll just have to wait and see if there is improvement. With products designed for oily skin I worry that they'll be too aggravating as I have a combination complexion but this seems gentle but effective. I'll be sure to update if there are any drastic changes!

I haven't been able to give the Spot Fix a proper go as Sod's law would have it my skin is pretty clear today! Not that i should complain as so often it's not. I don't know about you but during my teenage years my skin was relatively spot free - it was when i hit my twenties it got bad! Alongside the rest of them, this product calls itself a must have so it has a lot to live up to. It's in a gel format which is slightly sticky. It has a very gentle smell of witch hazel which suggests it won't be too over powering on the skin.

I'm impressed with the little dabble i've had with the products so far. For a while now, i've used Benefit's Porefessional for reducing visible pores and that's been very impressive. However, as well as everything else at the moment that's running out so if the Shine Fix is an adequate replacement i'll be very pleased!
If you're interested in trying any of the products, the box set is still available on ASOS for £8.50.

Right on to the next..


This is 002 'Saucy Sailor' from Nicola Robert's beauty range 'Dainty Doll'. It retails at £12.50 from Boots but I got it for £2.89 + £1 pp via eBay. There seems to be a number of cosmetics from the range on eBay so it's worth checking out if you're not sure about spending that much! I stumbled across this by accident as i've now turned into a bit of a lipstick fiend. I ordered it on a whim and read a number of mixed reviews whilst waiting for it to arrive. Overall the reviews were negative, a number of which were disappointed with spending what they would on MAC on the products. I'd originally looked in to purchasing the concealer too as i've quite fair skin but was put off by what i'd read. I tried to keep an open mind whilst trying this. The colour is a classic red with a slight pink pigment. I like how bright it is compared to most of the others I own. I've had it on for a number of hours now and it's still stayed pretty well. The product does feel pretty basic though, the box it arrived in has a pretty design but the one on the lipstick is very simple. There isn't a nice smell or taste to it either. The consistency is pretty dense,which made it a bit difficult to apply and my lips feel quite dry for having it on now. It's strange as i'd expect that from a matte lipstick but this neither has a matte effect or shine. Overall, for the price i paid i'm pleased but would have felt slightly cheated if i'd spent £12.50.

Lastly!

Hi Tech Mascara - £1.19 from Hong Kong via eBay. I'm going to admit this straight away, I did buy this because it had a cat on. I didn't really expect it to be worthy of throwing away my current ( and yes depleting) mascara but it's been more than pleasantly surprising! It's got a small bristled brush which I prefer to the big chunky ones a lot of them have. It's really good for grabbing smaller lashes. I've had to be careful not to make them too clumpy but I think that is partly because it's new anyway. For the first time in a while I haven't applied eyeliner because I don't really feel like I need it!

Above I have the mascara and Dainty Doll lipstick on.

I'm waiting on one more thing at the moment which is a matte black nail polish (another eBay order). Overall, I feel like i've managed to start replacing my depleting beauty products and have a treat. If anyone is interested in purchasing any of the above i'll try and find the direct links for you.

Rose

1 comment:

  1. Nip + Fab skincare products look so good, I've seen them on Asos as well! And the Dainty Doll lipstick is lovely xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If you leave your link I'll be sure to check out your blog!