Monday, 25 February 2013

What I've been reading.

When I finished my degree last July I rejoiced at the prospect of reading what I liked again. Unlike a lot of my course mates who were put off books for a while, I already had a stack at the ready. At first I whizzed through popular fiction such as Me Before You by Jojo Moyes ( fantastically romantic) and Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson (a predictable thriller). Recently though, I'm on with a slightly more challenging reading list. My aim is to read some of the popular classics I didn't study whilst at uni. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell was one I knew was on the syllabus for a lot of people but I myself had missed. I enjoyed having something more challenging to read and the content of the book was thought provoking.





Orwell's vision of the life in the novel is claustrophobic and his character's lack the privilege of privacy. The world is over run by technology and each home contains a television which can watch the inhabitants. Not only can the government not be trusted but a number of the surrounding population are part of the 'thought police' (a group who report thoses who have negative thoughts about Big Brother to the government). Noone can be trusted and individuals are discouraged from having relationships, referring to those around them as comrades. The children are to be feared most of all as they have no allegiance to anyone - not even their parents!
Written in 1949, Orwell's interpretation of life in the late 20th century was terrifying but in many ways parallell to our present day. The watchful eye of Big Brother can be likened to the amount of cameras which surround us on a daily basis.  Statistics say that the average person is caught on CCTV  60 times a day which is quite unnerving! The novel also contains elements of Orwell's present day, such as the repetition of war. The combination of the two makes the book very interesting to consider.
One of the most unexpected elements of this text for me was the inclusion of a love story. The protagonist Winston meets and falls in love with Julie. Together they try and have a relationship based on love despite the disapproval of Big Brother. It's interesting to read about their struggle for something we take for granted.
I'd definitely pass this book on as a must read. So much of our culture is based around our most popular fictions ( In this case the TV programme Big Brother!). There were some bits I found quite difficult to understand but it was worth persevering with.  

My reading list for the coming months is as followed:

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Mary Queen of Scots - Antonia Fraser
Kings of Albion - Julian Rathborne
A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde
Little Women - Louise May Alcott
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy



What are you reading at the moment? Can you recommend anything for my reading list?

Rose x

6 comments:

  1. You have great taste in reading material, you should add Love and Summer by William Trevor

    A little bit Unique

    x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll be sure to look it up :) x

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog and loving it. Maybe we can follow each other on GFC or bloglovin? Please feel free to stop by my blog and let me know. XO

    http://mevamarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'll be sure to check out your blog :) x

      Delete
  3. Great list of books to read! I need to start reading myself >.< Lovely blog you have here. I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment :3 I will have a look at the link x

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! If you leave your link I'll be sure to check out your blog!