Sunday, 10 February 2013

A Clean Slate

For the past few years i've been struggling with combination skin, every time there's a big change in the temperature it takes a drastic turn for the worst. At the moment it seems to be mostly oily and no product i had was helping it improve. I decided it was time to rethink my skin care routine. Previously, it would be limited to face wipes and moisturiser with a face scrub in the morning. I did some investigating and read some blog posts highly rating products from Lush. I wanted to run down there and buy every one! They all sounded so promising. Alas, going back to my previous blog posts i am still on budget currently. So i ended up in perusing other shops instead, deciding that even if i got discount products that didn't work - at least i wouldn't be losing out on much cash!

Here's my budget oil reducing routine.




1. Beauty Formulas : Oil Control Facial Wash. 99p from Bodycare
I bought this with much skepticism due to the price. The blurb on the front insists the face wash 'controls the oil balance of the skin and clears away the excess oil and grease that blocks pores' which all sounded very promising. Since purchasing, i've used it twice and have been pleasantly surprised! It has a prominent tea tree smell but without being over powering. It's cleansing without over drying the skin. As my complexion is combination,i expected very dry skin after the first use but instead it's reduced the amount of oil i was often getting in my t-zone and around my forehead. I plan on using it most days and will let you know if there's a dramatic change in the next couple of weeks.



2. Simple Kind to Skin Face Cleansing Wipes. £3.99 from Sainsburys
These are some of the priciest face wipes i've bought. I usually get the cucumber ones from Boots but i ran out and had to make a dash to the supermarket. They remove eye make up well but i don't think they're anything special.

3. Olay Essentials Conditioning Milk. £1.49 (half price) from Superdrug
I haven't used a proper cleanser and toner in years so I had no idea what to look for. I knew i needed
something light and got this on the basis it was suitable for all skin types. This was the first time i'd tried an Olay product and i'm already tempted to go back to Superdrug while the range is still on offer. It smells fantastic and is gentle enough to use daily. The amount of foundation which appeared on the cotton pad whilst removing made me realise that the face wipes were not leaving my skin as clean as i thought.



4. Witch Blemish Stick. £3.99 from Boots
I've only just rediscovered this! The witch hazel helps break down the excess oils that lead to breakouts. It's still the most effective blemish stick i've tried. I'm now using it in my evening routine if need be.

5. The Body Shop Cucumber Freshening Water Toner. £1.59 (In the sale) from The Body Shop
I bought this a while ago in the sale and only used it a couple of times before shelving it. I found my skin was drying out horribly and i'd have big dry patches around break outs (not attractive). However, as my skin is currently battling oil, it seemed a better time to use it. It compliments the cleanser really well and isn't as chemically and harsh as other toners.

6. Neutrogena Visibly Clear Oil Free Moisturiser. £2.99 from Bodycare
Purchasing this was another skeptical moment. I've never bought a moisturiser this reasonable before but was persuaded by the brand name. It's a different consistency to most moisturisers, making it a little harder to spread about. However, once it's on the skin does feel hydrated. I find the fragrance a little off putting as it's similar to the Neutrogena facial washes i have bought before and it's a bit overpowering. But, i will be sticking with it as i've noticed a considerable change in my skin's overall condition just in the last few days.

So far i've been thoroughly impressed with my purchases. For the first time in ages i don't feel embarrassed my skin! I've had no further breakouts (touch wood) whereas I was getting them daily before. I'm also using less foundation and reapplying make up less frequently!
Have any of you got any beauty bargains to share?
Rose x

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant post, thanks for sharing.
    Ive been looking for a blemish stick for a while, I will give that Witch one a go!
    I'm your newest follower :)
    Carrie
    xxxx
    http://carriebrighton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's worth buying,it last for ages too! Thanks for following xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! If you leave your link I'll be sure to check out your blog!